Peter Guyer was recently interviewed by Anderson Partners Advertising where he provided 7 tips for successful food product exporting:
- Comply with packaging regulations: Research the country’s packaging requirements that you are targeting.
- Write ingredients in the appropriate foreign language.
- Comply with import regulations: Make sure there are no ingredients that are prohibited—a lot of preservatives used in the US are prohibited in foreign countries. For more information, read the recently revised country requirements from the USDA.
- Best selling products include mass market items: potato chips, snack foods and meat products—products that are well-known in foreign countries.
- Products that are novel, innovative and new do well: The markets are smaller, therefore sales are lower but the growth rate is high.
- Europe is hot: They are just getting out of a lengthy recession and their buying power is coming back to where it was five years ago.
- Attend/Exhibit major international trade shows: Particularly in Europe—ANUGA Cologne and SIAL Paris. Guyer said Gulfood in the Middle East is a trade show you can’t miss. And, Asia has many major trade shows, but they are more segmented by categories within food and beverage.
View the full article at the Anderson Partners Advertising Blog »